When you feel strongly about an issue don’t take “no” or “it’s a done deal” for an answer.
- Research the issue.
- Create and/or sign a petition.
- Be heard – tell your friends, talk to your local politicians (municipal, provincial and federal) and newspapers.
- Write letters to the Prime Minister, the Premier, federal and provincial Ministry of Natural Resources, Ministry of the Environment, Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs. Write to the proponent, the newspapers and local organizations. Spread the word.
- Encourage your local social group to get involved (church, Probus, Lions, fishing, snowmobiling, curling, hockey, whatever you enjoy).
- Educate and encourage local students and schools. After all we are fighting for our children’s future.
- Contact similar activist groups for support and expertise. There is strength in numbers.
- Join or setup a Facebook page.
- Follow or setup a Twitter account.
- Create a list of objectives and join/setup a Call to Action campaign.
- Attend or host a fund-raising/social awareness event.
- Join or establish an advocacy group.
- Post a sign.
- Distribute posters.
- Keep an eye on Ontario’s Environmental Registry (www.ebr.gov.on.ca) and comment whenever there is a relevant application.
- Donate your time, your expertise or your money.
- Join/subscribe to another supporting group:
- AWARE Simcoe www.aware-simcoe.ca
- Blue Mountain Watershed Trust www.watershedtrust.ca
- Citizen’s Alliance United for a Sustainable Environment (CAUSE) www.citizensalliance.ca
- Coalition of Concerned Citizens (Caledon) www.coalitioncaledon.com
- CORE – Conserve Our Rural Environment www.corecares.ca
- Earthroots www.earthroots.org
- Ecologos Institute www.ecologos.ca
- Gravel Watch Ontario www.gravelwatch.org
- Greenbelt Foundation www.greenbelt.ca
- Lake Ontario Waterkeeper www.waterkeeper.ca
- Mining Injustice Solidarity Network www.solidarityresponse.net
- Mono Mulmur Citizens’ Coalition (MC)2 www.monomulmur.com
- North Dufferin Agricultural and Community Taskforce (NDACT) www.ndact.com
- North Gwillimbury Forest Alliance www.SaveNGForest.org
- Nottawasaga Steelheaders www.nottawasaga.org
- Ontario Rivers Alliance www.ontarioriversalliance.ca
- PERL of Burlington www.perlofburlington.org
- PitSense www.pitsense.ca
- Simcoe County Greenbelt Coalition www.simcoecountygreenbelt.ca
- Canadian Journalists for Free Expression (CJFE) www.cjfe.org
- Council of Canadians www.canadians.org
- David Suzuki Foundation www.davidsuzuki.org
- Environmental Defence www.environmentaldefence.ca
- Leadnow www.leadnow.ca
- Amnesty International Canada www.amnesty.ca (human rights)
- Avaaz www.avaaz.org (global activism)
- Greenpeace www.Greenpeace.org
- Sea Shepherd Conservation Society (SSCS) www.seashepherd.org
- +SumOfUs www.sumofus.org
- Democracy Now www.democracynow.org (@democracynow) (independent global news)
- DeSmog Blog www.desmogblog.com (@DeSmogBlog) (climate change news)
- OpenMedia www.openmedia.org (@OpenMediaOrg) (news with a view to keep the internet open, affordable, and surveillance-free)
- The Narwhal www.thenarwhal.ca (@thenarwhalca) (Canada’s natural environment news)
Get involved and “git’er done”!
Disclaimer: The above links have been compiled for the purpose of allowing the reader to have choices. While the information and organizations are believed to be reliable, accuracy and legitimacy cannot be guaranteed. We may or may not have an affiliation with the above groups depending on what projects we are working on at the time.